Friday, February 26, 2010

Gestures

Lakshmi akka, VIT mess, Vellore, 2002-2005
She would stand out in the crowd of people who used to work for VIT mess, not because of her physical appearance but because one could not miss her twinkling eyes, warm face and the big smile with which she used to greet us. Her enthusiasm used to force us to greet her back with the same big smile even on the crappiest day.
Language barrier which I faced there certainly did not exist for her, and she always managed to communicate to us either by gestures or by her limited English vocabulary or Telugu (her mother tongue).
She would sense that the exams were approaching and would wish us luck before the exams. She would nod her head in agreement and in sympathy when we used to fuss about the delay in the night tea or complained about the food.
She took care of us in her own way, whether it was making crispy dosas or secretly keeping boiled potato for us.

Akka, Sri Rathnagiriswarar Kovil, Besant Nagar, Chennai, 2006-2008
I don’t remember her face. All that I can recall about her is the place where she used to sit outside the temple, her faded plastic box in which she used to keep her coins.
I was a frequent visitor to the temple and except one or two occasions, I had always found her sitting at the same spot either accompanied by her husband or by an old lady.
The other things that I remember about her are the monosyllabic talks we used to have every day and her generosity which I observed over time. Once she saw me tensed and disturbed. She refused to take the money that she used to take for guarding the foot wears outside the temple and told me that I can give her the money later when I am feeling better. She was trying to help by letting go of those 50 paise.

2 ladies, fruit counter, Food connection, NTU Singapore
Because of my dieting mania, I became a regular customer of the counter.  My interaction with these two ladies was limited to the customary thanks.
Once I happened to miss my juice shopping. When I went to buy juice the next day, they asked me why did not I came yesterday, and whether I am feeling ok in their broken English. I was surprised to know that they even noticed my absence because I never saw that counter free, and I would not have certainly missed them if they were absent.


These four people did not have the best jobs in the world but that did not stop them to show generosity.
They did not hold a college degree, but they understood that  language is just a  mere tool for communication and that communication in the real sense means conveying of emotions that both the people can feel rather the words that both can understand.
They had their own problems but that did not mar their goodness. It did not prevent them to pass a smile to others and talk to them at least for a min.
I am just an outsider to their lives, but I believe that these people chose to make the best out of whatever  they have instead of crying over what they cannot have.

They have taught to me so much and somehow helped me to feel better in my bad days. I am writing this article because I don’t want their memories to fade away and also as a way of showing my gratitude to them.

6 comments:

  1. divya...though its so simple bt its nice...its so sweet of u to remember these small gestures of people arnd u and appreciate them for these gestures, which is one of d most important virtue of a person.its shows how mcuh v cn learn frm so many people arnd us..n u dnt need money to b happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the article .. Cause i can relate to it... there are trouble some days when i look around to draw some ray of hope and i encounter a some GESTURE ... some of the life changing decision we make may b from an over heard conversation or a GESTURE like this...

    If only these wonderful , beautiful ladies could just read ur blog....
    I am sure you (me , all of us ) ll all be inspiring a few ppl in ur (our) own ways .... If only U (we) knew....

    I am waiting for ur next post..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a lovely gesture on ur part divya - remembering the small gestures of others who in their small ways and small level of contacts, touched your life somehow!
    Beautiful.. and I can relate with them in the same (decreasing) order u put them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this article a lot.this was the best way to remember your frnds as well as your near and dear one.i love your story 2 ladies fruit corner alot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just chanced upon your blog..and loved going through some posts.. this one in particular inspired me to thanksgiving... keep writting, spreading joy and the wonderful person that you are, God's grace be with you...

    ReplyDelete