Saturday, January 23, 2010

Joy in procrastination.

I went to a book shop yesterday, and I noticed a book titled, why procrastinate? This title activated some idle neurons in my brains and triggered a feeling of pity. All I can think after that is why everybody has ganged up against poor procrastination? It is high time now for us to come out openly for procrastination.

So I, Divya Jain declared myself as an official ambassador of procrastination, for the time being, until something important comes up and would like to put a motion of confidence in favor of procrastination.

“Dear All
Just to make sure that we all are at the same level, I would like to define the word procrastination. dictionary.reference.com defines it as an act of deferring an action, delaying or putting off something till another day or time. Here after, in the range of this document procrastination will mean as mentioned above.

I would like to draw your attention to the definition, it says that the task is deferred to some other time and not cancelled. Thus the task will be done.

According to the first law of i_have_ample_time, time is never wasted. It is just transferred from one action to other action. So when we are not performing the task we are supposed to do, we are, in fact, performing some task or other. If you bear with me, I would like to explain this point with a personal experience. During my undergraduate course, I was staying in the college hostel and often on my way to mess or bathroom I would stop by some room to chat. Not only because of that I have made some good friends, but sometime I also got valuable information like the correct syllabus of the exam, correct deadlines for assignments and not to mention few very spicy gossips. So ladies and gentleman if you are logical enough you will agree with me procrastination actually helped me to gain knowledge.

As it is said, Time is money, and I fully support this statement. All the hasty decisions that I have taken in my life ended up causing me some financial loss. Had I procrastinated taking all those decisions, my bank balance would have been much better.

If necessity is the mother of all inventions, there is no denying that procrastination is the father of all the short cuts. We all are aware of one widely accepted theory which states “ jab jab  jo jo hona hain tab tab so so hota hain.”(Translation: things will happen when they have to happen) so if we are procrastinating something, we are just delaying it but according to the above mentioned theory it will happen, so the only way out is a short cut.

Have you ever watched a cricket match? Can you recall the moment when a batsman hit the ball very hard, and it goes up in the air? Everybody, all the players, commentators, umpires and viewers are curious to know whether it is a sixer or a boundary. The thrill in that moment of uncertainty cannot be put into words. Procrastination has the same thrill. You are never sure of meeting the deadline until you actually meet it, which you will because procrastination only means delaying and not cancelling.

Have not we all enjoyed procrastination at some point of our life?

On a serious note, I request you all to ponder on few things: Are not we missing the joy of procrastination by doing things on time. Are we actually saving time?  If so, I wonder where the saved time is going because everybody seems to be busy.

Thanks for your attention. The floor is now open for discussion.”

3 comments:

  1. I like this part "I wonder where the saved time is going because everybody seems to be busy". Really made me thinking! May be procrastination is the mother of "success in short time".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very nice writing.
    Actually I assume we "look" busy because we dont wanna think and wonder ourselves that we are not wasting time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. divya..very well written...never realized thr was joy in procrastination also :)

    ReplyDelete